Thousands of Vesconite bushes have been successfully used since 1973 in underground battery locos in South
Vesconite is the premium non-metallic material which successfully replaces bronze in heavy duty and precision
As well as generally lower cost, Vesconite bushes offer
- Longer life, even with faulty lubrication
- Do not cause seizures
- Ideal for ultra deep mines
- Much less wear in very wet conditions
- Lower friction and reduced power losses
- Less wear of steel axle
- Easier fitting
- Large stocks for immediate deliveries
Vesconite bushes for battery locomotives give the longest life of any bearing material. When first tested in the
early 1970's, Vesconite was quickly recognised as a major technical improvement, giving over twice the life of
the traditional gunmetal bronze bushes.
Vesconite survives if greasing is not carried out regularly, a major advantage when low maintenance standards
A motor axle bush is a precision engineered part which operates in the wet and highly abrasive conditions found
underground. Since it is a time consuming operation to replace a worn motor axle bush, the bush should be able to
operate for as long as possible with a minimum amount of wear.
- Unlike bronze, irregular greasing of Vesconite bushes does not lead to seizure or damage to the motor axle
- In addition, axle wear is significantly reduced when using Vesconite bushes.
- Very wet conditions, like those found in ultra deep mines, cause problems for bronze bushes.
- When locomotives operate in excess water and mud, good lubrication is not easily maintained and bronze wears
quickly and can fail within weeks. In contrast, Vesconite bushes survive wet conditions.
- It is seldom realised that excessive bush wear can cause accelerated wear of the axle, motor pinion and drive
- If misalignment results, this can lead to failure of the electric motor bearings and costly damage to the
- By using low wear Vesconite bushes, motor pinion and drive gear wear is reduced, and the risk of motor
damage is greatly decreased. These hidden savings are the least obvious but most important advantage of using
A further advantage of Vesconite is its low friction compared to bronze. This results in power savings.
Using Vesconite bushes is highly cost effective because better performance and longer life is obtained at a lower
cost. Vesconite loco bushes cost one third less than bronze bushes. Vesconite bushes have been tested and
approved by major mining buying organisations for many years and are today used throughout South Africa.